Is it just me or is the new TV programme - Red or Black? - just a little disturbing?
I feel sad, in much the same way as when I watch X-Factor. People are pinning their hopes and dreams on the tiniest of chances to win a substantial sum of money, in this case £1million.
Why is it that people with little or no talent feel that they have a right to become famous with little or no effort?
We are still presented with 'Celebrities' on reality shows, celebrities that I and many others around me have never even heard of. The audience for these programmes would seem to aspire to the same goals.
Is any of this really entertainment? I know it's cheap. I know it's easy. But entertainment? I am constantly reminded of the old fashioned 'Freak Shows', or townspeople staking there seats to watch floggings or hangings.The arena stage also conjures up a scene of gladiators and slaves being thrown to the lions.
How far are we from a situation where people are gambling with their lives for real? Is any risk acceptable? And if the risk is only imagined, are we being manipulated?
Of course we are being manipulated. That is what television does. But will we be in charge of setting boundaries? I'm not sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment