Saturday, 3 September 2011

I Just Had To.....

After many years using a basic 'dumb' phone, I was contacted by 3 mobile and advised that I was due an upgrade. But what to choose? I regularly listen to 'tech' podcasts and couldn't understand the attraction of mobile phones that seemed to do everything with little discussion of how they actually worked at making calls!

So I started looking. Touchscreen? Ok, why not? Large screen? Yep. Fastest processor? Of course!
The courier arrived a few days ago, with small plastic bag, containing a box that looked a bit smaller than I expected, containing a ........ Samsung Galaxy S 2. What an amazing gadget!


Now I can actually see the internet on a hand held device (eyesight not as good as it was) I can play games more complex than Snake or Tetris. But the best bit? I can ask it to do things and it understands me! This phone is Android based so Google is a significant partner. I say the name of a restaurant and the town it's in and a few seconds later a female voice is directing me straight to the front door! 

Yep, I've been sucked in. But I love it. I guess it's because I love things that work properly and do the things I want them to do. The Samsung is pretty close to my ideal.

I'll let you in on a secret though. I spent the last weekend trying out my new phone. Texting and Calls were easy - I just used the Contacts list. Come Monday afternoon I had to make a call to someone not on my Contacts List. How do you do that? I couldn't find a number keyboard! In the end I gave up! I had to use the Android Forums on the internet that evening to find out how. It wasn't very intuitive having scrolled right for everything then finding out that I needed to scroll left this time! I was just relieved a little to find out that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Ah well I learn something new every day. (Just didn't expect it to be something so daft on that day!)



No comments: